United Way drive begins
The United Way has kicked off its 2011 campaign across the seven counties, including Union, that are part of the United Way of Northeast Mississippi.
The goal this year is $2,200,000, slightly more than the goal last year, but not an unreachable number if everyone does his or her part in support of our largest charity drive.
What is most important locally is how much money is contributed by Union Countians because that determines how much money is returned to benefit worthy causes here.
This past year we had a significant increase in giving from the county and $91,250 was distributed to agencies that benefit Union County. The prior year $62,000 was distributed here.
Hugh Tate of BNA Bank is heading up the Union County drive this year and he has a pretty big number to beat. We’re confident he can do that with our help.
The largest benefactors this year were the Boys and Girls Club of New Albany with $20,000, Good Samaritan Food Pantry with $16,000, the New Haven Center with $11,000 and the Salvation Army with $7,000. Twenty-one other agencies shared the rest.
Although giving from our county has been increasing, it still is below where it logically should be for a county of our size. The United Way system for charitable giving is built largely around deducting small amounts from the paychecks of employees who want to do their part in helping those in need in the community. Getting companies to participate in the effort is the key.
The United Way supports many worthwhile causes in our community. We hope you will do your part and give what you can.
About Chris Elkins
- Going to the ‘Ship’ May 18, 2016
- Making History: Urchins win first state title in baseball May 21, 2016
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 24, 2016
- Macedonia news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- County supervisors begin to see first of annual budget requests May 24, 2016
- Emerald furniture plant about ready for production May 24, 2016
- Reminder about Memorial Day schedule changes May 24, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...