Local family loses home in blaze
A house fire last Thursday afternoon left one New Albany family without a home, New Albany firefighters said.
According to Mark Whiteside with the New Albany Fire Department, the residents of one side of a Glade Street duplex lost everything in a blaze in the early afternoon of Aug. 4.
“The house fire broke out at 508 and 510 Glade Street,” Whiteside said. “Fire crews were dispatched at 1:23 p.m. and reported seeing heavy smoke while enroute to the scene. Upon arrival, crews reported heavy fire coming from the rear of the structure with heavy smoke throughout.”
While 510 Glade St. was unoccupied, Kashyanna Simmons, a resident of 508 Glade St. said she was watching television in the back room when, suddenly, the air conditioner caught on fire.
Whiteside said the one crew entered Simmons’ residence to fight the fire, while a second crew entered the unoccupied side of the duplex to prevent the fire from spreading.
“One resident was transported to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County for smoke inhalation and was treated and released,” Whiteside said.
Three other members of Simmons’ family, including her mother Megan Thomas, Omariun Thomas, 7 and Amiracle Woods, 6, also resided in the duplex.
Whiteside said that extreme heat took a toll on some of the firefighters at the scene.
“No serious injuries to fire personnel were reported, but two firefighters were checked at the scene, due to heat-related issues,” Whiteside said. “Due to temperatures in excess of 100 degrees, an EMS crew was sent to the scene to monitor fire personnel.”
Whiteside said that fire crews remained on the scene for two and a half hours before the blaze was said to be under control. The structure of the duplex and contents sustained heavy damage, he said.
About Chris Elkins
- Center Hill Baptist Church news June 28, 2016
- County Road 46 to be closed for several weeks due to bridge work June 28, 2016
- New Albany Fire Department represents city, associations June 28, 2016
- County jobless rate up, but still among lowest June 28, 2016
- MDOT gives sheriff’s department truck for litter collection June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...