Supervisors approve county bridge inspections
In accordance with a bridge program, more than 60 bridges will soon be inspected in Union County. There will also be quality control inspections and scour monitoring on some of the bridges as well.
Union County is using more than $22,500 from the State of Mississippi Local System Bridge Program grant money to pay for the project.
At Monday’s meeting, the Union County Board of Supervisors accepted this contract for the Local System Bridge Program.
The number of bridges selected for evaluation and a follow-up on site inspection by the Quality Control manager will be five percent of the county inventory or a minimum of five bridges.
The inspection shall be completed on or before Feb. 1, 2012.
Also at the meeting, Curt Clayton, current Union County EMA director, was chosen as the designated agent on behalf of Union County for the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency.
A county needs an agent once the county was included in a Presidential disaster declaration. When this happens, the local government must designate an applicant’s agent.
The agent will represent the local government in managing the city or county applications for federal disaster assistance funds. In addition, the agent will be the contact person for federal and state agencies dealing with the disaster programs and will be responsible for managing federal funds provided for the community for following state and local bid and contract procedures, for maintaining auditable records and for seeing that all work is accomplished before the completion dates are reached.
The board will reconvene at 10 a.m. on Monday, Aug. 1, 2011 in the Union County Chancery Boardroom.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Hurricane news June 28, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Truck causes power outage, other damage to downtown buildings June 28, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...