Supervisors approve county bridge inspections
In accordance with a bridge program, more than 60 bridges will soon be inspected in Union County. There will also be quality control inspections and scour monitoring on some of the bridges as well.
Union County is using more than $22,500 from the State of Mississippi Local System Bridge Program grant money to pay for the project.
At Monday’s meeting, the Union County Board of Supervisors accepted this contract for the Local System Bridge Program.
The number of bridges selected for evaluation and a follow-up on site inspection by the Quality Control manager will be five percent of the county inventory or a minimum of five bridges.
The inspection shall be completed on or before Feb. 1, 2012.
Also at the meeting, Curt Clayton, current Union County EMA director, was chosen as the designated agent on behalf of Union County for the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency.
A county needs an agent once the county was included in a Presidential disaster declaration. When this happens, the local government must designate an applicant’s agent.
The agent will represent the local government in managing the city or county applications for federal disaster assistance funds. In addition, the agent will be the contact person for federal and state agencies dealing with the disaster programs and will be responsible for managing federal funds provided for the community for following state and local bid and contract procedures, for maintaining auditable records and for seeing that all work is accomplished before the completion dates are reached.
The board will reconvene at 10 a.m. on Monday, Aug. 1, 2011 in the Union County Chancery Boardroom.
About Chris Elkins
- Making History: Urchins win first state title in baseball May 21, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer