NA attorney selection
The New Albany Board of Alderman has opted for trying a new person as city attorney, rather than rehiring someone from the past.
The board voted 3 to 2 to employ Regan Russell, a local lawyer and New Albany municipal prosecutor since 1995, as the new city attorney. Voting for Russell were aldermen Jeff Olson, Scott Dunnam and Will Tucker.
Aldermen Johnny Anderson and Tommie Beasley favored rehiring Bobby Carter as city attorney. Carter was fired by the city and replaced in February of last year by Roger McMillin.
McMillin now has resigned to work with Morris McDaniel, an international human resources consulting firm based in Alexandria, Va. McMillin had worked for the company in Iraq before coming back to New Albany.
Russell has a law degree from the University of Virginia and a bachelor’s degree in engineering from Ole Miss. He graduated from W. P. Daniel High School in New Albany in 1985.
We support the board’s decision to cap the salary for the part-time job at a flat $25,000.
The only additional fees would be for unusual situations, such as litigation against the city.
The cost of legal services had been allowed to spiral upward when Carter was the city attorney and getting a firm grip on the city’s legal costs is a priority of the current board.
The job of city attorney is a part-time one and the board clearly has reiterated that with the new salary cap.
We think the board has made a good choice with Russell.
About Chris Elkins
- Center Hill Baptist Church news June 28, 2016
- County Road 46 to be closed for several weeks due to bridge work June 28, 2016
- New Albany Fire Department represents city, associations June 28, 2016
- County jobless rate up, but still among lowest June 28, 2016
- MDOT gives sheriff’s department truck for litter collection June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...