County schools work on weight rooms
Keeping up with competition is important, and the Union County School District is doing its part to stay on par with others in the state, adding and improving weight rooms at each of the schools.
“Our goal is to make sure that every athlete in the county has the chance to work out in the weight room,” Superintendent Ken Basil said. “In some ways, we’re behind athletically because our kids are not in the weight room, and this will help them become bigger and stronger, allowing them to remain competitive.”
Union County Head Football Coach Scott Duley is directing the county with the new program, providing weight training plans that other coaches will adjust and apply to their respective program. Basil stressed the importance weight training, a program that has become bigger in recent years.
“When I coached, it was not as important as it is today,” he said. “Our coaches have seen first hand what it can do, and if we want to stay competitive, this is the step we need to take.”
Approximately $25,000 was issued to both Ingomar and Myrtle to establish buildings that will house the new weight rooms, while East Union and West Union received between $5,000 and $7,000 geared toward improvements. The money was provided for materials, such as lighting, mirrors and mats in order to improve the already existing rooms at both schools.
Basil stressed that the equipment will benefit all athletes in the county, not just the co-op football program. Each school is working toward having their rooms ready by the beginning of the school year.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...