Our community is undergoing a spate of vandalism that is beyond typical summertime pranks.
In late May vandals used paint pens to write words and symbols on the brick pavers at the veterans memorial at the New Albany Sportsplex.
In addition, one of the lights that illuminates the American flag at the monument was destroyed.
And then last weekend vandals damaged nearly all of the 200 gravestones at the Union Hill cemetery in Myrtle.
The graves were desecrated either by knocking over tombstones or breaking them into pieces.
No one has been charged in either incident. Anyone with knowledge of the veterans incident should call New Albany City Hall a 662-534-6321. Tips that could lead to the perpetrators of the grave desecration should call the Union County Sheriff’s Department at 662-534-1941.
We consider these acts worse than the bubba bashing of mailboxes that occurs from time to time, especially in our rural areas.
These latest incidents are aimed at those who have served our country in the armed forces and the deceased relatives of our Union County families. They are deplorable.
We need to be especially vigilant in keeping an eye on our monuments and grave sites.
Any suspicious activity should be reported immediately.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse May 17, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 19, 2016
- The Playhouse May 19, 2016
- River Players to present comedy-murder mystery next week May 19, 2016
- Myrtle Church to host Dave Ramsey financial series May 19, 2016
- Making History: Urchins win first state title in baseball May 21, 2016
- City wants residents to be aware of yard sale, sign regulations May 19, 2016
- Farmers’ Market opens June 4 May 19, 2016
- Downtown area getting new parking lot May 19, 2016
- More graduation ceremonies Friday night, Saturday May 19, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...