New Albany Garden Club receives praise for beautification efforts
Several awards were presented to New Albany Garden Club members at the recent Deep South Region of National Garden Clubs Convention in Louisiana.
The biggest award, the Silver award, was presented to member Sherra Owen. This award is given to an individual, organization, or institution in recognition of a contribution to the field of garden club work or to the field of horticulture of state or national significance.
Owen was humbled when she received the award and said that the ongoing gardening and horticulture work as well as the constant dedication of the members of New Albany Garden Club is what makes everything possible.
In addition, the garden club won second in the state for the P.O.W. award, which is for the Deep South Unified Regional Project: “Protecting Our World…Living Green – Living Clean.”
There were many first place awards presented to the club, including a youth award for a poetry contest with New Albany Elementary School first grader Francisco Rivera as the winner. The club also received first place in Deep South for Rivera’s poem. In other youth awards, the poster contest winners were Bryan Heredia, first grade, second place; Aaron Scales, third grade, third place; Megan Whiteside, fifth grade, third place.
In Deep South Region awards, the club won first place in Horticulture and Junior Garden Club, second in Environmental Education, and third in Litter Control.
In state awards, the club received three first place awards, including Backyard Wildlife Habitat, Outstanding Horticultural Activities, and Environmental Education. Two second place awards were the Carrie Avent Bird award and the M.B. Self award. The honorable mention awards are for the press book, the yearbook, the Garden Therapy program, and Special Achievement (Garden Club of the Year).
Grace Provence, former president of the club, said that she was very proud of the awards that the club received and wishes continued success for the club.
The Deep South Region includes the states Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee.
About Chris Elkins
- Center Hill Baptist Church news June 28, 2016
- County Road 46 to be closed for several weeks due to bridge work June 28, 2016
- New Albany Fire Department represents city, associations June 28, 2016
- County jobless rate up, but still among lowest June 28, 2016
- MDOT gives sheriff’s department truck for litter collection June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...