New Albany Garden Club receives praise for beautification efforts
Several awards were presented to New Albany Garden Club members at the recent Deep South Region of National Garden Clubs Convention in Louisiana.
The biggest award, the Silver award, was presented to member Sherra Owen. This award is given to an individual, organization, or institution in recognition of a contribution to the field of garden club work or to the field of horticulture of state or national significance.
Owen was humbled when she received the award and said that the ongoing gardening and horticulture work as well as the constant dedication of the members of New Albany Garden Club is what makes everything possible.
In addition, the garden club won second in the state for the P.O.W. award, which is for the Deep South Unified Regional Project: “Protecting Our World…Living Green – Living Clean.”
There were many first place awards presented to the club, including a youth award for a poetry contest with New Albany Elementary School first grader Francisco Rivera as the winner. The club also received first place in Deep South for Rivera’s poem. In other youth awards, the poster contest winners were Bryan Heredia, first grade, second place; Aaron Scales, third grade, third place; Megan Whiteside, fifth grade, third place.
In Deep South Region awards, the club won first place in Horticulture and Junior Garden Club, second in Environmental Education, and third in Litter Control.
In state awards, the club received three first place awards, including Backyard Wildlife Habitat, Outstanding Horticultural Activities, and Environmental Education. Two second place awards were the Carrie Avent Bird award and the M.B. Self award. The honorable mention awards are for the press book, the yearbook, the Garden Therapy program, and Special Achievement (Garden Club of the Year).
Grace Provence, former president of the club, said that she was very proud of the awards that the club received and wishes continued success for the club.
The Deep South Region includes the states Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee.
About Chris Elkins
- Eastern Lights May 19, 2016
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 24, 2016
- Macedonia news May 24, 2016
- Chism wins UBBI scholarship May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- County supervisors begin to see first of annual budget requests May 24, 2016
- Emerald furniture plant about ready for production May 24, 2016
- Reminder about Memorial Day schedule changes May 24, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...