County to hire engineer to inspect damaged bridges
Union County will soon be hiring a structural engineer to inspect nine of the county’s 140 bridges that are in need of serious repair.
Union County Engineer Hubert Foley told the Union County Board of Supervisors Monday that these nine bridges are considered fractured or in critical condition. He did not, however, have a complete list of the bridges in question immediately available.
“The Office of State Aid Road Construction recommends that these bridges be inspected by a state aid employee,” Foley told the board.
This office administers Mississippi’s State Aid Road Program and assists the 82 counties in the state, including Union County.
Union County is one of many counties around the state who will be hiring an engineer to inspect fractured bridges. The engineer will determine what needs to be fixed and the estimated cost of repair, Foley said.
The funds for this project will come from the Federal Highway Administration, board members said. A timeline for hiring an engineer has not yet been set.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...