Local Senate race heats up
Mississippi’s District Three State Senator Nickey Browning will have some competition for his seat this fall.
Before the state’s deadline passed Wednesday for candidates to qualify for Senate and House of Representatives’ races in the state Legislature, New Albany resident Betsey Hamilton threw her hat into the ring to run as a Republican against Browning.
Hamilton said she entered the race in order to offer a “different leadership style” for the district.
“I have always considered myself a ‘doer’ and a believer that ‘where there’s a will, there’s a way,’” Hamilton said. “I intend to carry that belief to the Senate floor if at all possible.”
Hamilton said that, if she is elected, her primary focus will be on education.
“I view education as the key,” Hamilton said. “I will devote my energy toward reform in an effort to strengthen our good public schools, as they are the driving force of all of our opportunities.”
Browning, a resident of Pontotoc, has represented the 3rd District in the Senate since 1996. The district not only includes Union County, but also Pontotoc and Calhoun counties.
During his tenure, Browning has served on committees such as County Affairs, Public Utilities and Highways and Transportation, among others.
On the House of Representatives side, District 14 Rep. Margaret Rogers will not be facing any competition in the upcoming elections.
Rogers had switched from the Democratic Party to the Republican Party earlier this year.
About Chris Elkins
- Wilkinson, Urchins shut down Cardinals April 29, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 4, 2016
- Being a mother is the best May 4, 2016
- Graduation rates looking up May 4, 2016
- Baptist Union County recognizes nurse who performs above and beyond expectations May 4, 2016
- City schools hope to weather governor’s, legislature’s budget cuts May 4, 2016
- Supervisors name new youth court referee, E-911 director May 4, 2016
- Deputies receive training in emergency control of trauma bleeding May 4, 2016
- Plenty to do this weekend May 4, 2016
- Herman J. Maxey May 4, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...