Implement the vision
The Union County School District Board has grappled with the contentious issue of how best to proceed with a county football team.
Some want the team to become an East Union only team where it would compete with other small schools in Division 2A. Others want to proceed as a county-wide team, where it would eventually be classified as 5A, one division larger than New Albany’s classification.
The board voted 3-2 to continue one more year trying to recruit team members from all four county high schools and play as a county, not an East Union, team. We think the board made the right decision.
Supporters of an East Union-only team say students at the other schools have not shown an interest in playing football. Somehow, we don’t think students are much different in Myrtle, West Union or Ingomar as they are at East Union. A certain percentage of students will show interest in football if there is support for it from parents, administrators, teachers, and coaches of other sports at the schools.
In our mind, the school board articulated a strong vision for implementing several county-wide programs – an annual musical production, a band, a football program, and eventually advanced placement classes.
Support for the annual musical production is decent. All of the schools participate. Support for the band program is strong. All of the schools participate.
It is clear that not everyone at all the schools is on the same page with the county board’s vision about football. If they were, there would be adequate participation to develop a county football team.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...