Lady Eagles sweep Smithville, advance to North Half
It has been a daunting task for the Lady Eagles, looking for a way to get over the hump and surpass Smithville in the playoffs. Facing the Lady Seminoles in the postseason for a third year in a row, West Union swept their nemesis, capped by a 5-1 win on the road in Amory on Saturday.
“It was a mental thing, if nothing else, just the fear of deja vu and facing them again,” Lady Eagle head coach Lisa Bogue said. “Last year, we won the first game and they came back and beat us two in a row. We knew they could do it, but we tried our best to keep it from happening. Their game plan was to play two games today and ours was one and done.”
“Thankfully, our plan worked.”
The two teams remained scoreless until the fifth inning, when the bottom of the Lady Eagles’ lineup broke through, and West Union capitalized off four Smithville errors, scoring five runs to take the lead.
Smithville scored their run in the sixth off an RBI sacrifice by Kami Roberts, and Danielle Taylor finished the game with five strikeouts for the Lady Eagles.
“They remained focus, and that focus is unreal,” Bogue said. “It astounds me every time, because once the gate closes and the first pitch is thrown, they’re focused, and I’m proud of that.”
Despite the recent tragedy that struck Smithville, Bogue knew her squad would face the same determined Lady ‘Nole team that has caused problems for them in years past, and she is proud of her team's effort that has now led them to the North Half Championship.
“It’s tough. It had to be tough, and they’re just kids,” Bogue said of Smithville. “Having the weight of the world on their shoulders, and in game one, you could tell it was emotional for them. Today it changed and they were focused and determined. They were very much in control and they were the team that you’ve come to know and love, and they fought, but you have to credit our girls our girls because they fought hard, too.”
Next for West Union is Wheeler in a series that will begin this weekend. The Lady Eagles will travel for the first game of North Half on Thursday with the second and if necessary games taking place at home.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...