Community set for 16th annual Frog-a-Nanny
Sixteen years ago, Kelly Coltharp had a dream of providing a fun event for the special needs children in New Albany. Working closely with these students in the school district, this is an area that has long touched her heart, and in 1995, Frog-a-Nanny began and still remains a staple in the community.
The latest installment of the event will take place on Friday at the Sportsplex and has grown to include a parade, 5K walk and fun run, picnic and, of course, the ball games.
“We have 82 participants this year, so this is the most we’ve ever had,” Coltharp said.
“There are also 400 volunteers from various clubs and from throughout the community who will be involved, so this looks to be one of the largest years we’ve had.”
The 5K run was added last year, and with the addition of the half mile fun run/walk, Coltharp hopes the even will draw even more participants.
And she’s also excited about this year’s t-shirts.
“They’re so cute,” she said. “We had so many that have already sold, but I ordered more to be sold the day of, and they’re a big hit this year, so I’m sure they’ll go fast.”
With the help of the community, this is an event that runs for practically no cost thanks to sponsors and generous donations.
“I’m so grateful for everything that the community has done to make this successful year after year,” Coltharp said.
Gearing up for year 16, Coltharp is quick recognize the ones who have made the biggest impact on this event.
“The kids who were buddies in 1995 that helped me start this event keep coming back,” she said. “This event has touched them in a way that’s life changing, and the kids involved will do that to you. They teach you to not take anything in life for granted and they can do anything in spite of their condition. They never give up and you leave with that same attitude. That’s truly why I believe this event keeps getting bigger and better every year.”
The 16th Annual Frog-a-Nanny will kick off at 6 p.m. on Friday with the parade of players, followed by the 5K run and half mile fun run/walk, and picnic.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...