An exciting expansion
The Union County Heritage Museum used its 20th anniversary annual lunch meeting Thursday to announce an ambitious and exciting expansion project.
What started 20 years ago as a committee that wanted to form an historical society has become a quality small museum backed by an active society.
The problem today is that success has brought the museum artifacts and donations that are packed away because there is no space to put them on display.
Two major collections come to mind. The Coffey Family collection of about 800 volumes includes one of the most impressive collections of Faulkner books (including first editions), poems, short stories and other materials of any museum or library in the Southeast.
The collection also includes a set of first editions by local author, Borden Deal.
The museum also has stored away the Chico Foote collection of approximately 30 mounts from his African and Alaskan expeditions. Only the tiger is on display near the front entrance of the museum.
Included in the expansion plan are additional display rooms, a library, and a large meeting room for museum events that will greatly increase the size of the museum.
What is needed, of course, is money for construction and displays. We hope the community will step forward and participate in the fundraising effort that will move our community treasure forward.
About Chris Elkins
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball May 29, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2