Miss. National Guard to close county’s armory
The military tank that sits in front of the Mississippi Army National Guard Armory has been a fixture in New Albany for years. There is question, however, as to whether the tank will remain once the Mississippi Army National Guard closes the facility next month.
The armory, which is located at 917 Fairgrounds Spur Road, will be closing its doors, effective May 31, 2011.
County Attorney Thad Mueller presented the county lease agreement to the Union County Board of Supervisors at its meeting Monday.The board approved the termination of the lease with the state of Mississippi-Mississippi Military Department because the state no longer uses the building and because the county wishes to use the building for county purposes.
The armory was the former home of a unit in the Guard’s 155th Armored Brigade.
Supervisor President Danny Jordan said that because the county still owns the building, it will be used for packing boxes for Sharing at Christmas, but he doesn’t yet know what else may take place there.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse May 17, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 19, 2016
- The Playhouse May 19, 2016
- River Players to present comedy-murder mystery next week May 19, 2016
- Myrtle Church to host Dave Ramsey financial series May 19, 2016
- Making History: Urchins win first state title in baseball May 21, 2016
- City wants residents to be aware of yard sale, sign regulations May 19, 2016
- Farmers’ Market opens June 4 May 19, 2016
- Downtown area getting new parking lot May 19, 2016
- More graduation ceremonies Friday night, Saturday May 19, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...