Miss. National Guard to close county’s armory
The military tank that sits in front of the Mississippi Army National Guard Armory has been a fixture in New Albany for years. There is question, however, as to whether the tank will remain once the Mississippi Army National Guard closes the facility next month.
The armory, which is located at 917 Fairgrounds Spur Road, will be closing its doors, effective May 31, 2011.
County Attorney Thad Mueller presented the county lease agreement to the Union County Board of Supervisors at its meeting Monday.The board approved the termination of the lease with the state of Mississippi-Mississippi Military Department because the state no longer uses the building and because the county wishes to use the building for county purposes.
The armory was the former home of a unit in the Guard’s 155th Armored Brigade.
Supervisor President Danny Jordan said that because the county still owns the building, it will be used for packing boxes for Sharing at Christmas, but he doesn’t yet know what else may take place there.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...