Urchins sweep Coahoma Co. in first round
East Union made the most out of their first playoff appearance since 2009, picking up a series sweep of Coahoma County, 13-0 and 17-2, on Saturday.
“We survived, and with this young crew, it’s good to get some playoff experience under their belt. None of them have ever been in the playoffs, so this is good for them,” Urchins head coach Chris Basil said.
Dustin Pratt lead East Union in the first game with four hits and two RBI, scoring the final two runs in the fourth inning.
Ahead 2-0, the Urchins had a five-run inning, capped by singles from Alex Boland and Trey Barkley. Dillard finished with three RBI.
Chandler Coleman earned the win on the mound, allowing only one hit with eight strikeouts.
East Union would sweep the series, but not before Coahoma scored two runs to tie the game in the second inning. Samerio Johnson’s RBI triple brought in Coahoma’s first run and he would later steal home to tie the game at two.
The Urchins would respond with a 14 run inning with eight hits and five errors. Pratt led the way with an RBI triple and single in a frame that saw 18 batters.
Cody Dillard picked up the win, pitching three innings and allowing two runs off one hit with eight strikeouts.
Next for the Urchins is a second round match-up with Hamilton (12-7, 8-1).
“They’re traditionally rich with a great coaching staff. They probably, consistently, send more kids to college than any other program around, other than Tupelo,” Basil said. “We know that they have Ole Miss signee, Chase Reeves, who is an unbelievable pitcher from the left side and then they have Austin Earnest on the right side. We have a lot of work ahead of us this week to prepare for their pitching staff.”
The series with the Lions will start next Friday.
About Chris Elkins
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball May 29, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2