NA tennis looks toward playoffs after winning division
New Albany tennis is no stranger to success, playing this season as the defending state champions in 4A. Despite several key losses from last year, the Bulldogs captured their fourth straight division championship, defeating Pontotoc, 5-2, last Thursday.
“It was a tough match, and this has been a challenging season for us so far,” NAHS Head Coach Warner Creekmore said. “We suffered a couple tough losses earlier this season, but we battled and pulled out a close win against a good Pontotoc team.”
New Albany won both of their girls double matches with Elleigh Hall and Maegan Trexler defeating Ivy Robbins and Frankie Turner, 4-6, 6-4 (10-5) and Hannah Anderson and Olivia Dunnam defeating Haylee Walker and Anna Chrestman, 6-4, 6-1. Thomas Mills won boys singles, defeating Jacob Ferguson, 7-6, 4-6 (10-8) and the ‘Dawgs split in boys doubles with Mark Robbins and Hunter Surles winning 6-4, 6-2 over Jacob Hatcher and Deaton McAuley.
The Bulldogs sealed the match with a win in mixed doubles as Adam Coombs and Whitney Littlejohn defeated Piercen Burtchfield and Anna Wing, 4-6, 6-4 (10-7).
“It was a nail biter, as we had three courts go to a tiebreaker. It could have gone either way, but I credit our team for fighting hard picking up the win,” Creekmore said.
New Albany (7-3) is now working toward the playoffs, but Creekmore is not looking ahead, knowing the Bulldogs will have to continue to battle.
“We’re taking it one match at a time, and that’s all you can do. Given the number of seniors we lost from last year, we’re excited to have won the division and look forward to the competition in the playoffs.”
Individual playoffs being one week from today, April 20, in Pontotoc.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...