Grappling with growth
The Blue Springs Board of Aldermen has taken a positive step forward in beginning the process to annex most of the land separating the village from the Toyota plant property.
The board voted last week to annex into the village land along the north side of Interstate 22 (U.S. 78) near the plant, which is on the south side of the highway. The plan would increase the village size to 4.5 from 1.3 square miles and more than double its current population of 228.
The vote starts a multi-step process that will include holding a public hearing in the Union County Chancery Courtroom, followed by a ruling by the judge about whether to approve or deny the annexation. If all goes smoothly, the process likely will be concluded sometime this summer.
Once, annexation is completed, the village would have five years to provide basic village services to property owners who will be coming into the city.
Annexing the property is important to prevent willy-nilly unplanned and unregulated development near the plant that would result in the area becoming an eyesore.
Problems created by such development are expensive to fix after they occur and it is a certainty that lots of development will occur near the plant. Thad Mueller, Union County Board of Supervisors attorney and PUL Alliance member, said so far he has not heard from any opponents to the annexation plan.
Blue Springs has made the right move to head off a lot of potential problems. We would suggest the county Board of Supervisors follow suit with strong regulations for areas outside city and village limits.
About Chris Elkins
- Eastern Lights May 19, 2016
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 24, 2016
- Macedonia news May 24, 2016
- Chism wins UBBI scholarship May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- County supervisors begin to see first of annual budget requests May 24, 2016
- Emerald furniture plant about ready for production May 24, 2016
- Reminder about Memorial Day schedule changes May 24, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...