The New Albany Board of Aldermen has taken the first step in what needs to be a sustained undertaking to improve appearance and livability of our neighborhoods.
The board vote unanimously to require the owners of four properties to bulldoze the dilapidated structures there within 60 days or the city will do the job at the owners’ expense.
According to the city, the structures and their listed owners are 409 Broad St., Marshall Pedigo; 405 Broad St., E & E Enterprises (John Ellis); 410 North St., Thomas Sanford, and 209 Highland St., Mark Stevens.
At the same time, the board also voted to require Julius Morris, owner of property at 1117 Rosewood, to cleanup debris on the property within 60 days or the city will do so.
The city has gotten a start at dealing with a messy situation that makes parts of the city unattractive to visitors and residents alike. And a situation that has contributed to neighborhood blight and a decline in property values.
There are many properties – commercial, residential and rental residential – in the city that need attention. A forceful cleanup, fix-up campaign combined with enacting minimum standards for rental housing would go a long way toward making our community an even better place to live.
We commend the mayor and the board of aldermen for getting this program under way. It now needs to move forward with dispatch.
About Chris Elkins
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball May 29, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2