Union County Baseball Tournament- Day 1
Myrtle 6 New Albany 5
The Union County Tournament opened with the Hawks coming from behind to top New Albany by one run, 6-5.
Down 5-3 in the fourth, Myrtle posted three runs off four hits, highlighted with a triple by Justin Pickens that scored the tying and winning runs.
Myrtle held an early 1-0 lead in the first with a run scoring of a sacrifice play by Austin Floyd. New Albany responded with three runs in the bottom half off three straight hits.
With two outs, Drew Wray reached base first, followed by a double by Riley Alef. Tyler Beaty cleared the bases with his home run, and the Bulldogs led 3-1 until Myrtle tied the game in the third.
The Bulldogs took the lead once more, opening the inning with Andrew Ballard reaching on an error and Beaty bringing him home with his double. New Albany loaded the bases and scored a run off the walk of Easton Hall to lead 5-3 heading into the last inning.
The Hawks had three straight hits, including an RBI single by David Moody to bring the game within a run before Pickens triple.
Pickens had the win on the mound, allowing five runs off five hits. Mason Maxey had the loss for the ‘Dawgs, allowing six runs off seven hits and four strikeouts. Alef and Beaty each had two hits in the losing effort.
West Union 7 Myrtle 2
Myrtle was unable to carry momentum into their second game of the day, falling by five runs to the host team, West Union.
The Eagles posted three runs in the second, loading the bases on three walks and Taylor English scoring two with his single. Myrtle responded with a run in the third off a single by Adam Baker, but West Union scored two runs in each of the final two innings, including back-to-back home runs by Zak Jumper and Joey Dillard in the fourth inning.
English allowed only four hits for the Hawks while striking out six.
East Union 14 West Union 5
The Urchins had 13 hits in their convincing win over the Eagles in the final game of the first day.
Neither team produced runs in the first, but East Union changed the scoreless tie in the second with 11 runs off eight hits, two hits from both D.J. Armstrong and Tyler Hutcheson. Extra base hits for the Urchins came from Hutcheson with a two RBI double and Alex Boland, who hit an RBI triple.
The Eagles had two doubles in the bottom half of the second with Joey Dillard scoring West Union’s first run, and they continued their impressive home run hitting in the third with Will Basil and Hunter McQuary each with solo shots.
Basil was one of four Eagles with multiple hits (English, Jumper and Dillard), while East Union had multiple hits from Hutcheson, Armstrong, Trey Barkley and Cody Dillard. Armstrong was three-for-three with an RBI single in the second to lead East Union.
East Union will play the first two games on Friday, taking on Myrtle at 11 a.m. and New Albany at 12:30 p.m. The Eagles and Bulldogs will close out the tournament with their 2 p.m. contest.
Standings after Day 1
East Union 1-0
West Union 1-1
New Albany 0-1
11 a.m. East Union vs. Myrtle
12:30 p.m. East Union vs. New Albany
2 p.m. New Albany vs. West Union
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...