Myrtle earns extra-inning win over Pine Grove
The Hawks took Pine Grove to extra innings to earn their first win of the season Friday night.
Myrtle had runners on the corners with no outs in the eighth, and a miscue from catcher to third base brought Sid Beasley home to give the Hawks the 7-6 win.
The Panthers held the advantage for a majority of the game before the Hawks took the lead with a four-run sixth inning, 6-4. Adam Baker and Austin Floyd each walked, and with one out and Beasley loaded the bases with his single. Zack Pickens had a sacrifice play, and Moody and Anthony Lipsey scored runners on a single and error respectively, giving the Hawks the 5-4 lead. Moody rounded out the scoring, stealing home.
The Panthers responded with a two-run seventh inning after Russ Yates replaced Justin Perkins on the mound. Austin Hopper opened with a leadoff single and scored on a double by Jimmy Spires. Spires tied the game, scoring later in the inning.
Spires led the Panthers with three hits, two of which were doubles. Andrew Hopper and Blake West also had multiple hits for Pine Grove.
The Hawks were led at the plate by Yates, Baker, Floyd, Beasley and Moody, who each had two hits.
Pickens pitched six innings, giving up four runs off eight hits with six strikeouts. Yates allowed two runs off three hits and Floyd closed the game with one hit and three strikeouts in the eighth.
The Hawks will be in action next weekend in the Union County Tournament at West Union.
About Chris Elkins
- Eastern Lights May 19, 2016
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 24, 2016
- Macedonia news May 24, 2016
- Chism wins UBBI scholarship May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- County supervisors begin to see first of annual budget requests May 24, 2016
- Emerald furniture plant about ready for production May 24, 2016
- Reminder about Memorial Day schedule changes May 24, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...