Agriculture workshops happening soon
Farming on a Small Scale is becoming more popular each year. According to Union County Extension Director, Stanley Wise, calls are increasing from landowners with small acreages seeking information to help them generate more income from their farm.
Wise said that according to the 2007 Census of Agriculture, Union County has 751 farms that average 180 acres each. More than 500 farms have less than 180 acres and more than 200 farms have less than 50 acres. The Census also reveals that 379 of these farms have less than one thousand dollars in sales. Increasing income from our small farms can be a real financial help to many families and help stimulate the local economy.
This spring, the Union County Extension Office is offering a series of workshops designed to help landowners with small acreages. These workshops will provide information to help them generate more income.
Topics that will be presented are: March 7 – Evaluating Your Farm for Profit and Cut Flower Production, March 14 – Market Gardening, March 21 – Computers are a Small Farm’s Best Friend, March 28 – Successful Equine Services, April 4 – Wildlife Recreation for Profit on Small Farms, April 18 – Small Scale Poultry Production, April 25 – Small Orchards and Vineyards, May 2 – Small Scale Livestock Production, May 9 – Farm Recreation and Agritourism, May 16 – Nano Farming (Make Every Square Foot Count), May 23 – USDA Assistance for Small Farms.
The Small Scale Agriculture Workshop Series will be held at the Union County Fairgrounds Ladies Building from 6 to 8 pm on the days listed.
Cost for the workshops are, $5.00 per person for each session or $30.00 for the Series. This fee will cover materials and light refreshments.
For more information or to pre-register, contact the Union County Extension Service at 662-534-1916.
About Chris Elkins
- Eastern Lights May 19, 2016
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 24, 2016
- Macedonia news May 24, 2016
- Chism wins UBBI scholarship May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- County supervisors begin to see first of annual budget requests May 24, 2016
- Emerald furniture plant about ready for production May 24, 2016
- Reminder about Memorial Day schedule changes May 24, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...