NA searches for coach replacement
The New Albany School District has begun a search to replace former New Albany High School boys’ soccer coach and 10th grade history teacher Taylor Nichols.
Nichols, 25, who pleaded guilty Thursday to a charge of touching a child for lustful purposes while occupying a position of trust, submitted his letter of resignation to the school board at the end of last week.
New Albany School District Superintendent Charles Garrett said Monday that the board met Friday and accepted Nichols’ resignation and that arrangements had already been made for a replacement teacher in the history class.
“[New Albany High School] Principal Lance Evans has a licensed substitute in place,” Garrett said.
Garrett went on to say that the teaching position has been opened to applicants within the district first and then to teachers outside the district. He said that applications are currently being accepted and interviews would begin soon.
Nichols was first hired as the boys’ soccer coach in June of 2008. He has also served as assistant coach for the girls’ soccer team and as cross country coach.
According to Mississippi’s 3rd District Attorney Ben Creekmore, Nichols was sentenced to 15 years in prison and five years probation. Because he pleaded guilty to the charge, however, the 15 years in prison was suspended.
Nichols has also been required to register as a sex offender and avoid contact with or identification of the student involved.
He was arrested last Sunday after being accused of kissing a female student at the high school.
The incident was reported to the district attorney’s office by a community member, Creekmore said.
About Chris Elkins
- Wilkinson, Urchins shut down Cardinals April 29, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 4, 2016
- Being a mother is the best May 4, 2016
- Graduation rates looking up May 4, 2016
- Baptist Union County recognizes nurse who performs above and beyond expectations May 4, 2016
- City schools hope to weather governor’s, legislature’s budget cuts May 4, 2016
- Supervisors name new youth court referee, E-911 director May 4, 2016
- Deputies receive training in emergency control of trauma bleeding May 4, 2016
- Plenty to do this weekend May 4, 2016
- Herman J. Maxey May 4, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...