NA searches for coach replacement
The New Albany School District has begun a search to replace former New Albany High School boys’ soccer coach and 10th grade history teacher Taylor Nichols.
Nichols, 25, who pleaded guilty Thursday to a charge of touching a child for lustful purposes while occupying a position of trust, submitted his letter of resignation to the school board at the end of last week.
New Albany School District Superintendent Charles Garrett said Monday that the board met Friday and accepted Nichols’ resignation and that arrangements had already been made for a replacement teacher in the history class.
“[New Albany High School] Principal Lance Evans has a licensed substitute in place,” Garrett said.
Garrett went on to say that the teaching position has been opened to applicants within the district first and then to teachers outside the district. He said that applications are currently being accepted and interviews would begin soon.
Nichols was first hired as the boys’ soccer coach in June of 2008. He has also served as assistant coach for the girls’ soccer team and as cross country coach.
According to Mississippi’s 3rd District Attorney Ben Creekmore, Nichols was sentenced to 15 years in prison and five years probation. Because he pleaded guilty to the charge, however, the 15 years in prison was suspended.
Nichols has also been required to register as a sex offender and avoid contact with or identification of the student involved.
He was arrested last Sunday after being accused of kissing a female student at the high school.
The incident was reported to the district attorney’s office by a community member, Creekmore said.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...