New Albany fire chief submits resignation
Jeff Hale has resigned effective Monday, Feb. 21, as fire chief of the city of New Albany.
Mayor Tim Kent said Hale left a letter on his desk Wednesday, Feb. 16, saying he was going to retire. The mayor said he had not talked to Hale about his decision.
With more than 25 years of experience as a firefighter, Hale can retire under the state retirement system, Kent said. He has worked in New Albany since July 2008. Before that he worked 23 years with the Southaven Fire Department.
Kent said Hale’s family moved to New Albany for a while, but moved back to Southaven where they owned a house last August.
The mayor said the city requires the fire chief to live in the city, and the Board of Aldermen was not happy with Hale commuting to Southaven.
At one time the city discovered that Hale was driving a city pickup back and forth to Southaven and he was asked to leave the truck in the city and drive his personal car, the mayor said.
Ken said the department does not have a deputy chief and he expects to supervise he shift captains until the board can discuss a process for replacing the chief.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Hurricane news June 28, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Truck causes power outage, other damage to downtown buildings June 28, 2016
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...