Checking for insurance
Drivers in Mississippi are required to carry liability insurance to cover accidents that are their fault. It’s the law.
Unfortunately, enforcing the law is difficult, if not impossible, and large numbers of drivers wander around the state each day with no insurance. The odds are pretty chancy if you have an accident and expect the other driver’s insurance company to pick up the tab.
To compensate for that most of us who buy insurance also pay for uninsured motorist coverage because we want to be able to recover the cost should our vehicle be damaged in an accident.
Basically, we are buying extra insurance because we know the Mississippi law is not enforced.
The state Senate has passed a bill that attempts to put some teeth into the state insurance requirement. The bill, sponsored by Sen. Billy Hewes, a Gulfport Republican, would require drivers to show their proof-of-insurance card at the tax collector’s office to get or renew a car tag.
The bill faces an uncertain future in the House where a similar bill has failed in the past.
Why would it fail?
Because some insurance companies would rather sell uninsured motorist insurance to those of us who are good citizens than try to insure (and collect the payments) from higher risk drivers.
We think the House should approve the Senate bill.
Drivers still could not be certain that the insurance was in force at the time of an accident, but at least they would know the other driver had insurance on the day the car tag was purchased.
It’s better than what we have now.
About Chris Elkins
- Center Hill Baptist Church news June 28, 2016
- County Road 46 to be closed for several weeks due to bridge work June 28, 2016
- New Albany Fire Department represents city, associations June 28, 2016
- County jobless rate up, but still among lowest June 28, 2016
- MDOT gives sheriff’s department truck for litter collection June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...