Itawamba sweeps Northeast
Northeast Mississippi Community College’s men and women’s basketball teams fell to Itawamba Community College at the Bonner Arnold Coliseum (BAC) on Saturday, February 12.
It was sophomore day at the BAC. Northeast honored its eight upperclassmen players for both the men and women’s teams along with the Lady Tigers’ manager Brittany Downs and statistician Zack Franks.
In game one, Coach Ricky Ford’s Lady Tigers dropped to 10-11 overall and 5-6 in the North Division after the Lady Indians picked up a four-point victory 78-74.
The only two sophomores for Coach Ford this season, Chelsey Whitaker and Amber Johnson, played well in there last home game at the BAC. Whitaker had a double-double with 10-points and 10 boards while Johnson hit 18 points in her effort.
Freshman Anna Brooke Page led the way with 22-points and 10 rebounds for Northeast. Itawamba’s Jameika Hoskins scored a game high 25-points followed by teammate Mandy Collins who added 14.
Coach Ford’s squad led by two at the break 33-31 but were outscored in the second frame 47-41.
On the men’s side, Coach David Robbins paid tribute to his six upperclassmen, Tyler Pritchard, Cody Garrett, Nick Tate, Josey Pettigrew, Tyler Reed, and John David Little.
Unfortunately, these sophomores were unable to pull off the win in there last home game as the Tigers fell to the Indians 77-66.
In the first half, the Tigers (10-12, 6-5) clung to a one-point lead 39-38 but couldn’t hang on down the stretch as the Indians (12-8, 6-3) moved into the number two spot in the division with the win.
Top performers for Northeast were Robert Wade, who had 23-points and seven boards, and Cedric Janes who added 16 points and 15 rebounds.
Itawamba had four players score in double-digits with Melvin Morgan leading the way with 19, while Todd Nelson collected 17, along with Wendell Williams’ who pitched in 13 followed by Nick Moncure’s 11.
With the loss, the Tigers dropped to the number three spot in the division sitting just behind second place Itawamba and first place East Mississippi. The Lady Tigers sit at the fourth spot in divisional play and must win on Monday night verses Mississippi Delta Community College to qualify for the post-season.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...