Ingomar cheer wins state
Long hours and numerous practices paid off for the cheerleading squad of Ingomar. Competing in the Small Varsity 1A division at the 2010 state champions, the girls brought a title home, earning enough points to qualify as state champions.
“It was pretty exciting,” captain Bailey Littlejohn said. “We had a lot of things we had to work around, different schedules and lots of hours practicing, but it definitely paid off.”
Practicing since September and under the direction of choreographer Amanda Miller, Ingomar was one of several area schools to vie for one of the numerous state titles in the competition.
“A lot of people do not realize how many hours go into it,” co-captain Megan McDonald said. “We spent at least three hours, three days a week practicing after school, and you also have to give up your weekends for practice.”
The squad consists of 11 girls, ranging from junior high to high school. While they were the only competitors in their division, they still had to qualify with a certain amount of points to earn the championship, a feat the girls are proud to have accomplished.
“These are not just given away,” Littlejohn said. “We performed and earned enough points to qualify for the title. I think we did good.”
This is the first title for this group in the sport, and seniors, like Littlejohn, are happy to have earned it after they fell short a few years ago.
“My first year on the squad, we won regionals and made it to state, but our music messed up,” she explained. “Otherwise, I feel like we could have earned, at least, runner-up.”
The state champion squad was honored at a reception this past Tuesday night before the Falcons and Lady Falcons hosted Myrtle in basketball.
About Chris Elkins
- Center Hill Baptist Church news June 28, 2016
- County Road 46 to be closed for several weeks due to bridge work June 28, 2016
- New Albany Fire Department represents city, associations June 28, 2016
- County jobless rate up, but still among lowest June 28, 2016
- MDOT gives sheriff’s department truck for litter collection June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...