Northeast sweeps Coahoma in Clarksdale
Northeast Mississippi Community College's men and women's basketball teams picked up a sweep on the road Thursday night against Coahoma Community College.
Lady Tiger head coach Ricky Ford's squad opened the sweep picking up a win in the opener 59-47.
The Lady Tigers (7-6, 2-1 in North Division) were led by Anna Brooke Page's 16-point, seven-board effort, followed by Tiffany Martin who added 15 points along with Amber Johnson's 11-point, five-rebound game.
Northeast shot 14-of-19 (74-percent) from the foul line which proved to be the difference maker after a dismal shooting night from the floor shooting 36-percent which included the Lady Tigers only hitting 3-for-13 from behind the arc.
Tia Nunnally led the way for Coahoma with 18 points and seven rebounds.
In the nightcap, David Robbins' team fought back from a halftime deficit 45-38 and were able to finish the sweep by rallying for an 85-75 victory.
With the win, Northeast moved to 6-8 overall and 2-1 in division play while Coahoma dropped to 2-1 in the north.
Top performers for Northeast was Robert Wade who shot 10-of-16 from the floor for the game-high 27 points while snatching down four rebounds.
Teammates Tyler Pritchard and Jermaine Hollimon both hit the double digit mark with 19 and 10 points respectively.
Percentage wise, Coahoma out performed Northeast shooting 58-percent from the floor, 44-percent from downtown, and 63-percent from the charity stripe. Northeast was just 54, 33, and 48-percent on the evening.
However, turnovers plagued Coahoma as it turned the ball over 29 times compared to just 14 for Northeast.
Rashad Harris knocked down 15 points to lead Coahoma followed by Tony Payne who added 14.
Northeast will be back in action on Martin Luther King Jr., Day, Monday, January 17 in Fulton to face rivals the Itawamba Community College Indians.
Tip-off for the women is set for 6 p.m. while the men tip at 8 p.m.
About Chris Elkins
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer