Banning pit bulls
The city of New Albany is considering a permanent ban on pit bulls within the city limits.
We are opposed to this proposal. We don’t think the city has any business telling individuals what kind of dog they can have as a pet.
That doesn’t mean we are not concerned about vicious dogs, but vicious dogs come in all breeds and sizes.
And we have an ordinance already on the books that deals with dangerous animals.
Under the proposal given to the Board of Aldermen by Jim Taylor, animal control officer, any owner of a pit bull would have two months to get the dog out of the city or face a $1,000 fine.
“I’ve goten numerous calls over the last two months on pits running loose in the city. Many of these dogs are dangerous and I just think a permanent ban on them in the city would help to resolve the problem,” Taylor told the board.
We think such an ordinance is unfair.
Pitt bull owners already have been singled out for a registration fee. There are 59 pit bulls legally registered.
Under New Albany’s current dog ordinance, dogs of any breed must be on a leash or kept in an enclosed area with a concrete surface, surrounded by a fence at least four-feet high. We need to enforce that ordinance.
Any breed of dog can be raised as a house pet and function just fine in the city.
What the city really needs to focus on is finding good homes for unwanted pets, and supporting a low-cost spay-and-neuter program to reduce the number of dogs that are picked up and killed each year by animal control.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Hurricane news June 28, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Truck causes power outage, other damage to downtown buildings June 28, 2016
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...