Grisham receives a majority of county votes in Highway
Despite not finishing in the top two positions in the competitive race for Mississippi’s Northern District Transportation commissioner, Dennis C. Grisham of Dumas received the most votes of the seven candidates among Union County voters Tuesday.
Grisham received 942 votes out of 1,813 votes that were cast by Union County residents, either at the polls Tuesday or by absentee ballot.
The candidate receiving the next highest number of votes in Union County was Mike Tagert, of Starkville. Two hundred and forty-one votes were cast for Tagert, who will face John Caldwell, Sr. in a runoff in three weeks.
Caldwell received only 100 votes from Union County residents.
Of the other candidates in the race, Joey Hood received 186 votes in the county, Larry Lee received nine votes, Warner McBride received 165 votes and Ray Minor, brother to the former Commisioner Bill Minor, received 170 votes.
District-wide, Caldwell received the most votes, with 10,660, followed by Tagert with 10,373.
The runoff will be held on Tuesday, Feb. 1. The winner will serve the final months of a four-year term and then be up for re-election this fall.
About Chris Elkins
- Wilkinson, Urchins shut down Cardinals April 29, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 4, 2016
- Being a mother is the best May 4, 2016
- Graduation rates looking up May 4, 2016
- Baptist Union County recognizes nurse who performs above and beyond expectations May 4, 2016
- City schools hope to weather governor’s, legislature’s budget cuts May 4, 2016
- Supervisors name new youth court referee, E-911 director May 4, 2016
- Deputies receive training in emergency control of trauma bleeding May 4, 2016
- Plenty to do this weekend May 4, 2016
- Herman J. Maxey May 4, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...