Grisham receives a majority of county votes in Highway
Despite not finishing in the top two positions in the competitive race for Mississippi’s Northern District Transportation commissioner, Dennis C. Grisham of Dumas received the most votes of the seven candidates among Union County voters Tuesday.
Grisham received 942 votes out of 1,813 votes that were cast by Union County residents, either at the polls Tuesday or by absentee ballot.
The candidate receiving the next highest number of votes in Union County was Mike Tagert, of Starkville. Two hundred and forty-one votes were cast for Tagert, who will face John Caldwell, Sr. in a runoff in three weeks.
Caldwell received only 100 votes from Union County residents.
Of the other candidates in the race, Joey Hood received 186 votes in the county, Larry Lee received nine votes, Warner McBride received 165 votes and Ray Minor, brother to the former Commisioner Bill Minor, received 170 votes.
District-wide, Caldwell received the most votes, with 10,660, followed by Tagert with 10,373.
The runoff will be held on Tuesday, Feb. 1. The winner will serve the final months of a four-year term and then be up for re-election this fall.
About Chris Elkins
- Center Hill Baptist Church news June 28, 2016
- County Road 46 to be closed for several weeks due to bridge work June 28, 2016
- New Albany Fire Department represents city, associations June 28, 2016
- County jobless rate up, but still among lowest June 28, 2016
- MDOT gives sheriff’s department truck for litter collection June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...