Northeast set to begin the new year on the hardwoon
Northeast Mississippi Community College men’s and women’s basketball teams will come off the holiday break and head straight for the hardwood.
Northeast is scheduled for six games in five days – three men and three women contests – just a day after classes resume on the Booneville campus.
Ricky Ford’s Lady Tigers enter 2011 with a 5-5 overall mark and a 1-1 record in the North Division while David Robbins’ Tigers come into the new year with a 3-8 record overall but also stand at 1-1 in the North.
Northeast has a favorable schedule heading into the New Year as the Tigers and Lady Tigers open 2011 with three straight home dates in the friendly confines of Bonner Arnold Coliseum (BAC).
Through the 2010 portion of the schedule, Ford’s Lady Tigers were able to piece together a 4-1 mark at home while Robbins’ led the Tigers to a 3-2 showing at Bonner Arnold Coliseum during the early part of the season.
Action kicks off on Thursday, January 6 as the Tigers and Lady Tigers host Jones County Junior College in rematches of losses in Ellisville on November 15. The Lady Bobcats captured a 103-67 decision against the Lady Tigers while the Bobcats scratched out an 87-85 win against Robbins’ Tigers.
In the earlier matchups, Belmont’s Anna Brooke Page came through with 16 points for the Lady Tigers while Chelsey Whitaker (Alcorn Central) tossed in a baker’s dozen (13). On the men’s side, Tyler Pritchard’s 23 led the Tigers as five different Northeast players tallied double digits against the Bobcats. Nick Tate had 14 for the Tigers while Cody Garrett, Cedric Janes and Daniel Burton all tallied 10 points apiece.
Rematches continue in the Tigers and Lady Tigers’ next games at BAC on Saturday, Jan. 8 at 2 p.m. as Meridian Community College comes to Booneville.
Meridian captured an 81-74 decision on the women’s side, and while the Tigers held the Eagles were held to their lowest point total, Meridian managed a 76-69 decision in nightcap on November 29.
Sophomore Amber Johnson broke out for a career game against the Lady Eagles on November 29 tossing in 26 points on a 9-for-19 showing from the floor.
On the men’s side against the Eagles, John David Little led the Tigers with 19 markers while Jermaine Hollimon had 15 and Pritchard tossed in 11.
Northeast wraps up its home stand when it re-enters North Division action on Monday, January 10 as the Tigers and Lady Tigers host East Mississippi Community College at 5 and 7 p.m.
About Chris Elkins
- Center Hill Baptist Church news June 28, 2016
- County Road 46 to be closed for several weeks due to bridge work June 28, 2016
- New Albany Fire Department represents city, associations June 28, 2016
- County jobless rate up, but still among lowest June 28, 2016
- MDOT gives sheriff’s department truck for litter collection June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...