Barbour and the stimulus
Well, our governor is at it again, touting a new “Broadband for Mississippi” web site, which is part of the state’s overall effort to increase high-speed internet access throughout the state.
According to Gov. Haley Barbour’s announcement press release, the site, www.broadband.ms.gov, will allow Mississippians to learn more about broadband technology and what it means to their community.
“Expanding internet access through the latest and fastest technologies is critical to the state’s economic development, education and health care sectors,” the governor said.
Now, don’t get us wrong. We think internet access statewide is important to the future, just like the governor. And this web site and other state programs may be a step in the right direction.
No, what we find interesting is the final two lines of the press release where we learn this new state program actually is being paid for by President Obama’s federal stimulus program.
What a dichotomy! The governor attacks the president, the federal government and the stimulus bill on the national talk-show circuit, while soaking up lots of federal money at home to help keep the state afloat without having to enact new state taxes.
Which way is it governor?
About Chris Elkins
- Wilkinson, Urchins shut down Cardinals April 29, 2016
- Supervisors name new youth court referee, E-911 director May 4, 2016
- City schools hope to weather governor’s, legislature’s budget cuts May 4, 2016
- Taylor to continue softball career at Delta State May 5, 2016
- Area athletes advance to state finals in track May 5, 2016
- Two face armed robbery charges in home assault May 5, 2016
- City continues effort to remove unsafe houses, other structures May 5, 2016
- NA police to begin random bicycle patrols downtown, in park areas May 5, 2016
- Keep New Albany/Union County Beautiful sponsoring Great American Cleanup May 7 May 5, 2016
- Imagine the Possibilities CREATE career expo to be open to more counties October 4 – 6 May 5, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Two face armed robbery charges in home assault
- City continues effort to remove unsafe houses, other structures
- NA police to begin random bicycle patrols downtown, in park areas
- Keep New Albany/Union County Beautiful sponsoring Great American Cleanup May 7
- Imagine the Possibilities CREATE career expo to be open to more counties October 4 – 6