Supervisors lift county-wide burn ban
Following in the footsteps Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour made last week to lift a statewide burn ban, the Union County Board of Supervisors lifted the county-wide ban Monday.
The Union County Board of Supervisors instituted the burn ban in mid-October and it was originally set to be lifted as of Oct. 31, 2010.
According to the Mississippi Forestry Commission, Gov. Barbour issued a letter lifting the statewide burn ban last Wednesday. The lift is a result of increased precipitation, forecasted weather patterns and decreased fire occurrence.
William Mills with Mills and Mills Architects, PC, the firm doing architecture work on the Chancery Courtroom renovation, came before the board Monday to discuss finances on the renovation project.
He said, “It looks like we can do the work for around $4,100, which is half the price of what we originally thought.”
Mills said that he looked at some areas where work can be done at a lower cost. The renovations have already begun. Steel-Con, Inc. of New Albany is the contractor for this job.
Part of the money for the renovation came from a Small Municipalities and Limited Populations grant, totaling approximately $100,000. The remaining money spent on the renovations will come from the county’s general fund. The completion time is 120 days.
In addition, the board authorized Board President Danny Jordan to sign the contract for construction work to begin on the roof of Judge Talmadge Littlejohn’s office building. Scott Dunnam is the contractor for this project, which has an estimated cost of $16,000.00.
The board will reconvene Monday, Nov. 15, 2010 at 10 a.m. in the Union County Chancery Boardroom. All public is invited to attend.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...