Hurricane News, November 3, 2010
The beautiful, fall foliage from the flat woods to the hill country at the western edge of the community is a sure sign that winter is on the way. It was an exciting month for the community during the past few weeks as visitors to the corn maze at Shady Grove and to the haunted forest at Hurricane made for busy traffic during October.
Congratulations to Megan Hooker, CNP who was voted in the Gazette polls “Best of the Best” nurse practitioner from The Internal Medicine Clinic for the second year in a row.
There will be a Harvest Day fellowship meal at Hurricane Baptist Church on Nov. 21 Pastor is Bro. Philip Brock.
Charlotte(Holden)Hooker of Thaxton was honored with a party at the home of Kim and Robert Gilliam for her 93rd birthday on Oct. 30 with her children Janice Turner and Graden Hooker also hosting the event.
She attended the evening service at Hurricane Baptist on Oct. 31 with our family and the congregation sang happy birthday to “Mama Hook”.
Phil, Stephenie, Mary-Colston, and Gracie Warren hosted a hay ride and pizza party at W & W Farm on Oct. 31 for youth in the neighborhood.
Milestones in the community: Billy W. Todd of Fulton celebrated his 80th birthday in September. Billy is the son of the late Bill and Vance(Bell)Todd of Hurricane and a graduate of the Class of 1950. He taught at ICC and then worked at NPAC as guidance counselor for a number of years. Hats off to this former resident and educator.
Birthday wishes to Marley Williams and to Clarenda Parrish.
Terry and Debbie Norwood of Etta were featured in the Northeast Power Association Newsletter for their sorghum mill at Rocky Ford.
Bro. Steve Parrish was the guest speaker for the men’s prayer breakfast of Saturday, Oct. 30 at Hurricane Baptist.
Congratulations to Aden Hooker of Booneville who was selected as a top five beauty from grades 1-2.
Nellie(Ashley)Sandroni of Shaw called last Saturday as she had missed Dotsy Williamson at the Delta State reunion and learned of my dad Warren Norwood’s death there. She visits the community at the Ashley home at Lone Star frequently and keeps in touch with her classmates of the Class of 1953 from Hurricane High. She was an All-Star player for the girls basketball team from 1949-53.
Cade and Nolie Carlock of Lubbock, Texas, sent an announcement that their daughter Mylie Jo Carlock was born on Oct. 8. She is the latest addition to our extended Warren-Graham family and the granddaughter of Tom and Debbie(Graham)Carlock and the great-granddaughter of Bob and Wanza Graham, also of Texas.
Sympathy is extended to the family of Ralph L. Stevens who was the husband of Robbie Stevens of Poolville.
Mr. Ralph is the uncle of Linda(Bobby Clay)Russell of Old Union.
Sympathy is extended to the family of Vida Lou Sandford of New Albany who was a descendant of the Rayburn-Williams family of Hurricane.
Get well wishes to Agnes Payne.
Sympathy is extended to the family of Graham R. Russell of Sand Springs who was the husband of Ruth(Allred)Graham for 60 years. He was a retired highway patrolman, and the honor guard for these officers led the procession and closed out the end of the line at they proceeded to Sand Springs Cemetery. His mother, the late Ida(Mrs.Gene)Russell served as news correspondent for the community.
About Chris Elkins
- Making History: Urchins win first state title in baseball May 21, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer