Supervisors discuss Union County American Red Cross location
The Union County chapter of the American Red Cross closed its doors earlier this summer, due to restructuring efforts with the American Red Cross. Even though the Union County Red Cross is not a chapter, it is a location and calls and help are currently being routed to the Tupelo office of the American Red Cross, the Northeast Mississippi Chapter.
Henry Cobb, a member of the Northeast Mississippi Chapter Board of Directors, Northeast Mississippi Chapter’s emergency services director Cheryl Kocurek, and Northeast Mississippi Chapter Manager Patty Tucker came before the Union County Board of Supervisors Monday morning to discuss the Union County location of the American Red Cross.
Tucker said, “We are continuing to provide service in Union County. The services we provide are not diminishing in Union County.”
Kocurek said, “We have trained 51 individuals in CPR and First Aid in Union County. We had a blood drive here recently at Walmart and had volunteers come out and help. I recently came to Union County and helped a family on CR 183 that had a fire in their home. We helped them with clothing and other assistance.”
She added, “We are accepting volunteers in Union County and have identified six potential volunteers as of right now. We do want more volunteers trained in Union County. We also want to locate shelters for people in Union County.”
Anyone interested in volunteering to work with the American Red Cross can contact Cheryl Kocurek at 662-842-6101.
The phone number for the New Albany office, which is 662-534-5023, is accessible 24 hours a day and the calls will be routed to the Tupelo office.
However, according to Tucker and Kocurek, the goal is to have volunteers in the New Albany office and have it manned full-time.
Supervisors President Danny Jordan told Tucker and Kocurek that he would like a report and update on the New Albany office of the American Red Cross sent to the Supervisors office on a monthly basis so the board can remain updated on what’s going on with that location. Both women agreed to make that happen.
The board also accepted the new purchase of the new 2500-gallon pumper tanker for East Union Fire Department.
In addition, the board approved Scott Dunnam to be the contractor for the upcoming construction on the roof of Talmadge Littlejohn’s office building that sits across the street from Union County Chancery building. The bid was for $16,000..
County offices will be closed on Thursday. Nov. 11, in honor of Veterans Day.
The board will reconvene at 10 a.m. Nov. 8, at the Chancery Court boardroom.
About Chris Elkins
- Center Hill Baptist Church news June 28, 2016
- County Road 46 to be closed for several weeks due to bridge work June 28, 2016
- New Albany Fire Department represents city, associations June 28, 2016
- County jobless rate up, but still among lowest June 28, 2016
- MDOT gives sheriff’s department truck for litter collection June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...