Lady Urchins unable to top Hamilton
The Lady Urchins were looking for a big hit, and it came from one of the smallest girls in the lineup.
After six straight hits tied game two in the fifth inning, Mallory Roberts stepped to the plate and delivered one of the biggest hits of the season for East Union, scoring three runs and giving the Lady Urchins a 12-9 lead over Hamilton in game two of their first round series.
Unfortunately for the Lady Urchins, Caitlyn Atkins’ responded with a three-run shot in the sixth, and the Lady Lions would go on for the 14-12 win, sweeping the series.
“It was huge,” East Union head coach Andy Kirk said of Roberts’ hit, “but we couldn’t get anything in the sixth and seventh innings. She’s done a tremendous job this year pitching for us as well. I put so much pressure on my pitchers walking people, loading bases, and she can be down 3-0 and she’ll throw three straight strikes. It’s what she’s done all year.”
After taking game one, 8-1, Hamilton jumped to an early 7-0 lead after the first inning with East Union committing two errors and Hamilton scoring off only three hits.
“We weren’t our normal selves today, almost like we were in a daze,” Kirk said. “I don’t know if it’s the playoffs or what, but in between games we started having fun, even though it wasn’t much fun in the first inning of the second game.”
The Lady Urchins came back with five runs in the second, with Roberts notching her first of two hits in the game. The six-run inning that gave East Union the lead was capped by 10 hits, including a two RBI triple by Rachel Elder, who scored to tie the game off a single by Brittany Pruett.
While the Lady Urchins were unable to advance in the playoffs, it was still a successful season with East Union winning 21 games, the most in school history.
“We’re excited to have won 21 games this year, and it’s remarkable what they’ve accomplished,” Kirk said.
“We’re looking forward to getting into the weight room this offseason. We’re a young team and have a lot to look forward to.”
East Union ends their 2010 campaign at 21-9.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...