Time for charity
The United Way campaign for 2010 is underway across the seven counties, including Union, that are part of the United Way of Northeast Mississippi.
The goal this year is $2,150,000, but the important number locally is how much money is contributed by Union Countians because that determines how much money is returned to benefit worthy causes here.
This past year we had a dramatic increase in giving from this county and $91,550 is going to agencies that benefit Union County. The prior year $62,000 was distributed to benefit Union County.
The largest benefactors this year were the Boys and Girls Club of New Albany with $20,000, Good Samaritan Food Pantry with $16,000, the New Haven Center with $11,000 and the local American Red Cross with $8,000.
Nineteen other agencies or programs shared the rest.
Although giving from our county is on the increase, we still are not where we should be for a county of this size.
We still have inadequate participation from businesses and industries in our area.
The United Way system for charitable giving is built largely around deducting small amounts from the paychecks of employees who want to do their part in helping those in need in the community. Getting companies to participate in the effort is the key.
If you would like to participate in the campaign as a company or an individual, call the United Way at 662-539-0018. They’ll be happy to help you.
The United Way supports many worthwhile causes in our community. We urge you to give if you can.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...