Creekmore named USTA ‘Coach of the Year’
Warner Creekmore has long been an advocate for tennis in New Albany. From helping co-found the town’s beginner and junior summer programs to coaching New Albany High to a 4A state championship this past spring, Creekmore’s love for the sport is widely known and appreciated. Warner was honored for her efforts, as she was named the “Coach of the Year” for the state of Mississippi by the United States Tennis Association this week.
Warner began her individual career at the age of eight and has worked hard to promote the sport throughout Union County.
Coaching on several different levels, her influence is felt throughout, particuarly with the New Albany High tennis program.
Going into her fourth year with the Bulldogs, Creekmore’s teams have accomplished undefeated division schedules each of her first three seasons, while winning a team state title as well as several individual titles, including the mixed doubles title in 2009 and girls singles, boys singles and girls doubles in 2010.
“The love I have for this program is genuine, and they know I will go through any length to help them,” Creekmore said. “Having the opportunity to coach at New Albany has given me a new persepective on the sport, and it takes a lot of volunteering to help them get to where they need to be, but I’m appreciative of the opportunity and love my job.”
Creekmore has also worked diligently in New Albany to improve the courts, as the town is working toward opening new courts as a part of the New Albany Sportsplex in Spring 2012.
A charter member of the New Albany Community Tennis Association, Creekmore coaches the junior tennis league during the summer, as well as continues to support tennis for all ages.
Still finding time to play herself, Creekmore participates in a Mississippi Womens’s 7.5 Doubles Combo League, Tennessee Women’s 4.5 League and Tennessee Women’s Tri-Level League, among other leagues.
“I’m honored to have been nominated for this award by my peers, and I’m excited for the selection,” Creekmore said of the award.
Creekmore will be honored in an awards ceremony in Jackson this January.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Hurricane news June 28, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Truck causes power outage, other damage to downtown buildings June 28, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...