It’s a happening weekend in New Albany as the community’s biggest annual event, Tallahatchie RiverFest, spotlights our community and its downtown.
Events got underway Thursday with the celebration of the Faulkner Literary Garden’s 5th anniversary at the Union County Heritage Museum. Felder Rushing, Mississippi author and radio personality, was scheduled to be the highlight
Friday is the LiteracyFest and literacy competition awards. The event, sponsored by the New Albany Gazette, provides awards for writing to middle school students, high school students, adults and playwrights. Rushing will speak at the event at 10:30 a.m. in the Magnolia Civic Center.
The music on Friday starts at noon on the Bob Johnson Music Stage at the Courthouse with a variety of groups that will keep the stage occupied until nearly 11 p.m. Saturday begis with the 21sth annual BNA Bank Tallahatchie River Run. The one-half mile fun run starts at 8 a.m. and the 5K river run at 8:30.
Saturday morning’s focus also is on the vendors that will line Bankhead and the surrounding area as well as children’s activities. New Albany Main Street Association sponsors a free art activity for children at 10 a.m. at the Civic Center.
Music again starts at noon on the Courthouse stage. The major highlights are the Mosley and Johnson Band with Blues legend Sam Mosley accompanied by the Muscle Shoals Horns at 7:30 p.m. followed at 9 p.m. by long-time country music singer Marty Stuart and His Fabulous Superlatives.
This is the 18th year for our festival, which continues to draw people from throughout the region. How successful it is depends on whether you come, and the impression our community leaves with visitors.
See you at the festival.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...