Amateur radio organization looking for new members
Amateur Radio operators are still going strong in Union County. The Northeast Mississippi Amateur Radio Club is located in Union County and is responsible for the operation and maintenance of its repeater at the Union County Fairgrounds.
The club meets the fourth Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. at various locations.
Members are licensed Amateur Radio operators from Union, Tippah, and Pontotoc counties. Anyone interested in Amateur (HAM) Radio are welcome at any of our meetings.
The club members have the capabilities of operating on all licensed FCC frequencies. HF, UHF, and VHF. Many have had “Skywarn” training and are also members of Amateur Radio Emergency Service.
In July the club participated in an ARRL “Field Day” where radio operators set up a temporary antennae and communications operations at the Park-Along-The-River pavilion. They operated on HF, UHF, and VHF frequencies and made many connections all over the United States.
The club can handle welfare, priority and emergency traffic, local and nationwide, through the NTS (National Traffic System) net and was done during Hurricane Katrina.
The club will provide help for those interested in “Ham” Radio and in becoming licensed. We have license manuals and can mentor those interested. There are also members that are authorized by the Federal Communications Commission to do the testing for a license.
Because of the increased interest, there are Morse Code practicing sessions in development. The Boy Scouts have re-established a Special Communications merit badge that requires learning Morse code, as they did 30 years ago. This was also taught at the recent Boy Scout jamboree.
The club is a non-profit organization, is registered with the Secretary of State, is licensed by the FCC and is affiliated with the National Amateur Radio Relay League.
The frequency is 146.67 Mhz and the Station Call Sign is KC5YFE.
For more information, contact Charles Buster (WB5AHZ) at 534-5124, John Garling (W5UBG) at 534-7080, Bill Cooper (WB5YCR) at 534-2586m or Bill Towner (WB5TTM) at 316-8899.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...