New Albany Garden Club, April 2010
The New Albany Garden Club met April 8, 2010, in the home of Elizabeth Skinner, with Lori Henson and Laura Fennell serving as co-hostesses. The floral arrangement entitled Spring Feverwas provided by Susan Feather.
Rheta Ann West, president-elect presided over the meeting in the absence of President Grace Provence. Mrs. West thanked Mrs Skinner for hosting the club and Mrs. Henson and Mrs. Fennell for the refreshments and Mrs. Feather for the floral arrangement.
Ginger Boyington gave an inspiration devotional quoting from Ecclesiastes concerning the time allotted in our lives to “bloom” for God.
Lynn Madden introduced the guest speaker, Mr. Tim Burress, Master Gardener, who presented a slide show of tips for spring gardening.
The minutes were read and approved and the roll checked.
–Bethany Dalton announced the Great American Cleanup for April 10. Members who wish to participate will meet at the Methodist Church at 7 a.m.
Oxford Garden Club. Standard Flower Show, “There’s an App for That” will be April 15. Members interested in attending need to contact Grace Provence.
Tickets are available for the Tupelo Symphony Concert on April 18.
The Garden Club of Jackson, Home and Garden Tour will be April 22-23
Enid Lake will be the site for the Waterfalls, Wildflowers, and Native Plants program on April 24.
“The Sky’s the Limit”, a Standard Flower Show, will be presented April 24, by the Green Thumb Garden Club and the North Mississippi Lakes Iris Society in Grenada.
Earth Day has been changed to April 27, at the Sportsplex. A list was passed around for members to sign if they can participate.
Historic Northside Garden Club will have a home and garden tour on May 1, from 10-2.
New Albany Garden Club plant sale will be May 8, at the Union County Heritage Museum. Each member is responsible for bringing two plants labeled with name, price, and shade or sun.
Bethany Dalton announced that a community involvement group called ENACT has been formed and meets the 2ndMonday of each month at the Coffee Addict. The time is 5:30 p.m.
Mrs. Dalton also reported the Board of Aldermen approved the Blue Star Memorial.
Faulkner Garden: Sherra Owen announced that Felder Rushing will be in New Albany Sept. 23-24 and will broadcast his radio show from the Faulkner Garden and will also speak to area students. A contest on writing garden essays will be part of the weekend.
Environmental Education: Melanie Shannon announced that “Gathering Day” has been changed to May 14, to correspond with Frog-a-Nanny and that Ginger Boyington is co-chairing the Frog-a-Nanny committee for the club. Mrs. Boyington shared her ideas for the event and asked members to sign up to assist. Our club will sponsor a booth for crafts. Young Gardeners and Youth Gardeners will make the banner for the parade.
Blue Star Memorial: Betsey Hamilton announced that the request for the memorial has been sent and that the date of the dedication will be determined at a later date.
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned to meet in May in the home of Lynn Madden.
Those members in attendance were: Glenda Conlee, Gloria Cooper, Bethany Dalton, Linda Everett, Susan Feather, Laura Fennell, Jane Ford, Betsey Hamilton, Lori Henson, Carolyn Houston, Myra Langley, Lynn Madden, Rebecca Owen, Sherra Owen, Eydie Pullman, Melanie Shannon, Rheta Ann West, Elizabeth Skinner, Lori Whiteside, and Ginger Boyington.
About Chris Elkins
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer