911 coordinator requests media bundle fee ordinance
Union County Emergency 911 Coordinator Mildred Churchill came before the Board of Supervisors Monday morning to suggest that a new ordinance be passed making it mandatory that every consumer that has a landline phone or pays for a media bundle has to pay the $1 fee to the county.
Churchill said, “The problem is with Voice-Over Internet Protocol. If you get this package, the consumer is not currently having to pay this $1 fee.”
Media bundles can be through cellular or landline phone companies, cable providers like Metrocast, or satellite providers like DirecTV or Dish Network. The media bundles normally package services like cable or satellite, phone, and internet to offer a lower rate to the consumer.
On July 1, 2010, Senate Bill 2938 was passed in the Mississippi Senate during the 2010 Regular Session. The bill states that this is an Emergency 911 law and include fees for VoIP and prepaid cell phones.
Mississippi Digital Daily.com said that Senate Bill 2938 imposes a new $1 tax on Internet-connected telephone lines and prepaid cell phones. The site also said that this is the same tax already levied on other telephone users to help fund 911 services.
According to the Mississippi Department of Revenue (DOR), “Senate Bill 2938 was passed during the 2010 Regular Session of the Mississippi Legislature and requires retailers of prepaid wireless telecommunication services to collect a $1.00 Prepaid Wireless E911 Charge.”
DOR explained that some examples of prepaid wireless telecommunication services are cellular phones that come preloaded with a set dollar amount or set number of minutes for use by the customer and cards the customer uses to reload their cellular phone with a set dollar amount or set number of minutes, according to the DOR.
Board President Danny Jordan said, “We will take a look at it and take it under advisement.”
About Chris Elkins
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball May 29, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2