Liberal duck seasons again for Mississippi
The Mississippi Flyway Council voted to adopt the liberal regulatory alternative for duck seasons on July 24, 2010.
This means Mississippi waterfowl hunters will again have the opportunity to hunt 60 days with a 6-duck daily bag limit for the 2010-2011 waterfowl hunting season according to the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP).
“One major change from last year’s framework is there will be a 2-bird limit on pintails this year,” said Ed Penny, MDWFP Waterfowl Program Coordinator. Canvasback populations increased again this year, allowing for another full 60-day season.
Scaup populations remained steady, and the scaup bag limit will again be 2 per day for the entire 60-day season.
Waterfowl hunting seasons are set through a process called “Adaptive Harvest Management.”
Through this process, waterfowl seasons have the potential to be either a liberal, moderate, or restrictive framework from one year to the next, based on the breeding population of mid-continent mallards and the number of ponds on the breeding grounds.
In the Mississippi Flyway, a liberal framework is 60 days long with a 6-duck limit, a moderate framework is 45 days long with a 6-duck bag limit, and a restrictive framework is 30 days long with a 3-duck bag limit.
The Mississippi Commission on Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks will set the waterfowl season dates and bag limits within the allowable U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service frameworks during their August 17, 2010 meeting. Shortly after the season dates are set, the information will be posted atwww.mdwfp.com.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Hurricane news June 28, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Truck causes power outage, other damage to downtown buildings June 28, 2016
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...