High def? I don’t know
Let me start by saying I’m technology challenged. But I try. That’s how I happened to be in the electronics store Saturday asking for something called an SD card for a video camera.
“Is it high def?” the young clerk asked, probably knowing all the time that I would have no clue.
“All I know is what I have written on this scrap of paper,” I said, handing over the slip written by Ian McKee, the Gazette’s computer and graphics guru.
“What kind of camera is it?” he asked.
A question I can answer, I thought, confidently saying, “Kodak.”
“Which one of these is it?” he asked, scrolling through a dozen or so on a video screen.
About that time, I was saved by our tech-savvy son, Joe, who said, “I think you need this one,” pointing to a miniscule, thin, black square card encased in one of those annoying anti-shoplifting blocks of plastic.
We paid for it, and out of the store we went. I stared at the charge slip; I couldn’t believe I had just paid $96.51 for something smaller than a Cheez-It and not nearly as satisfying.
Monday, I handed it over to our news staff, so they could get to work shooting video for our soon-to-be-launched new web site for the Gazette.
If all goes well, you’ll be able to see the completely new site next Monday. But we have a lot of work to do between now and then.
It will replace a site that is outdated and not interactive. If you’ve looked at it, you know. If you haven’t, wait until Monday for your first look.
Of course, our new site will have all of the news, sports and area correspondents’ news that is on the current site.
But it will be organized better, by categories and sub-categories. For instance, if you only want to read stories about the New Albany Bulldogs, you can just click that sub-category under Sports. Or Union County sports or Northeast Mississippi Community College. You get the picture.
Speaking of pictures, there will be lots. And not just those from the printed edition of the Gazette, but more that we don’t have room for in the paper. We call them slide shows and you’ll find them under “Multimedia” on the home page.
Our videos (if I’ve bought the right SD card) will be there, too.
We’ll also have an interactive community calendar that permits you and others in the community to add your own meetings and events.
Under the “Opinion” section, you’ll find our editorials, letters to the editor, and this column. You’ll also find new Readers’ Forums where you’re invited to comment on a variety of community topics, as well as Blogs done by Gazette staff members or community bloggers.
Down near the bottom of the home page, you’ll find the “Pet of the Week.” We’ve started with my little scruffy (and old) terrier, Huey, but we want you to nominate yours. Just fill out the online form and attach a picture. It’s free. We’ll get yours on the web site soon.
I could go on about all the things you can do on our new site, but you can see for yourself on Monday. And I’m headed to the kitchen; I’ve worked up a Cheez-It craving. A box is $92 cheaper than an SD card and, oh, so satisfying.
T. Wayne Mitchell, publisher of the Gazette, can be reached by phone at 662-534-6321 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...