La. merchant buys Union Grocery
A Louisiana-based food distributor announced Tuesday its recent acquisition of New Albany’s own Union Grocery.
Imperial Trading Company announced its plans for Union Grocery to serve as a Mississippi division of its operation and that it plans to maintain the New Albany warehouse, with the objective of increasing sales and expanding jobs.
“This is truly a great day for Imperial Trading Company,” said John Georges, Chief Executive Officer of Georges Enterprises, LLC, of which Imperial is an affiliate. “This is the next step in our continued growth and development.”
Greek immigrant C.H. Pelias founded Imperial Trading in 1916 as a wholesale grocer for independent retail grocers in New Orleans. Today, the company focuses on the convenience store segment of wholesale distribution. Imperial owns and operates a 150,000 square foot distribution center in the metropolitan area of New Orleans.
Union Grocery was founded in New Albany as a family-owned business in 1952. The wholesale grocer offered a variety of products, from candy to automotive products and served large supermarkets, as well as convenience stores.
According to Imperial Trading Company President Wayne Baquet, Jr., the acquisition of Union Grocery secures his company’s spot as the nation’s ninth larges convenience store wholesaler and one of the largest private companies in the area.
“We can now offer even more great products and services to our customers,” said Wayne Baquet, Jr., President of Imperial Trading Company. “With this acquisition, we are taking Imperial to the next level.”
Imperial Trading Company has $1 billion in sales and services over 3,000 retailers.
About Chris Elkins
- Making History: Urchins win first state title in baseball May 21, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer