Rascals earn weekend wins
Tallahatchie evened their record at 2-2 over the weekend after picking up wins against the Tippah County Tribe and Tupelo Thunder.
Falling 12-1 to the Golden Triangle Jets in their first of two Saturday games, the Rascals held off the Tribe, earning a 6-5 win.
Houston Harper and Clint Hodges scored on a passed ball and wild pitch in the seventh to cut Tallahatchie’s lead to only one run. Grant Howell singled and advanced to third with two outs before Brad Luna picked up the final strikeout to end the game.
Luna (1-0) picked up the complete game win allowing four earned runs with nine strikeouts.
The Tribe opened the game with two runs, with Hunter Bolden recording the RBI double and later scoring on a passed ball.
Tallahatchie responded with two runs in the top of the second with Jordan Moore of Calhoun City hitting an RBI single. Ben Wallis also scored on a wild pitch to tie the game.
The Rascals took the lead for good in the third inning, as M.J. McWhorter’s sacrifice play scored Lee Wilson, making it 3-2. Tallahatchie added another run off of a single by Matt Webb.
The Rascals recorded six hits in the win after only having one against the Jets in the early game.
Tallahatchie also picked up a 12-0 shutout of the Tupelo Thunder on Sunday behind two-hit performances by the top of the Rascals’ batting order (Drew Dillard, Lee Wilson and M.J. McWhorter).
McWhorter’s two RBI double started the scoring for Tallahatchie in the first inning, scoring both Dillard and Wilson. Jordan Moore also hit an RBI double to later score McWhorter and Ben Wallis’ sacrifice brought in the fourth run.
Going up 8-0 by the final inning, Tallahatchie scored four more runs, as Myrtle’s Beau Cummings recorded his first hit in the CSBL, an RBI double that brought home Wallis. Wilson also hit a two RBI triple and later scored on a sacrifice.
Zane Treadaway (1-0) had the win on the mound, pitching five innings and allowing two hits with seven strikeouts.
New Albany’s Sawyer Wheatley contributed with one of the Thunder’s four hits, a single in the seventh inning.
Tallahatchie will have the week to rest before playing three games this weekend, starting with a 6:30 p.m. tilt with the North Delta Dealers. The Rascals will also play the Tribe on Saturday at 6:30 p.m. and the Jets at 1:30 p.m. on Sunday.
Tribe earn first win in CSBL
Tippah County picked up their first win in the BNA Bank Cotton States League with a 5-3 decision over the Tupelo Thunder on Sunday.
Josh Chism’s RBI double brought in the first run for the Tribe in the third inning with Clint Hodges coming home for the 1-0 lead.
After Tupelo took the lead in the top half of the fourth, Tippah County scored three runs in the bottom of the frame that started with three straight hits for the Tribe. Two of Tippah’s runs were brought in on wild pitches and the Tribe loaded the bases before ending the inning.
Hunter Bolden and Houston Harper each had singles in the fifth that led to two more runs for the Tribe, and Jimmy Marshall’s RBI single scored the final run in the win.
Grant Howell (1-0) earned the win allowing three runs off three hits and five strikeouts.
The Tribe and Thunder will play one another again on June 14.
About Chris Elkins
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2
- Capaning to represent New Albany as Boys and Girls Clubs ‘celebrity’ dancer