Rascals earn weekend wins
Tallahatchie evened their record at 2-2 over the weekend after picking up wins against the Tippah County Tribe and Tupelo Thunder.
Falling 12-1 to the Golden Triangle Jets in their first of two Saturday games, the Rascals held off the Tribe, earning a 6-5 win.
Houston Harper and Clint Hodges scored on a passed ball and wild pitch in the seventh to cut Tallahatchie’s lead to only one run. Grant Howell singled and advanced to third with two outs before Brad Luna picked up the final strikeout to end the game.
Luna (1-0) picked up the complete game win allowing four earned runs with nine strikeouts.
The Tribe opened the game with two runs, with Hunter Bolden recording the RBI double and later scoring on a passed ball.
Tallahatchie responded with two runs in the top of the second with Jordan Moore of Calhoun City hitting an RBI single. Ben Wallis also scored on a wild pitch to tie the game.
The Rascals took the lead for good in the third inning, as M.J. McWhorter’s sacrifice play scored Lee Wilson, making it 3-2. Tallahatchie added another run off of a single by Matt Webb.
The Rascals recorded six hits in the win after only having one against the Jets in the early game.
Tallahatchie also picked up a 12-0 shutout of the Tupelo Thunder on Sunday behind two-hit performances by the top of the Rascals’ batting order (Drew Dillard, Lee Wilson and M.J. McWhorter).
McWhorter’s two RBI double started the scoring for Tallahatchie in the first inning, scoring both Dillard and Wilson. Jordan Moore also hit an RBI double to later score McWhorter and Ben Wallis’ sacrifice brought in the fourth run.
Going up 8-0 by the final inning, Tallahatchie scored four more runs, as Myrtle’s Beau Cummings recorded his first hit in the CSBL, an RBI double that brought home Wallis. Wilson also hit a two RBI triple and later scored on a sacrifice.
Zane Treadaway (1-0) had the win on the mound, pitching five innings and allowing two hits with seven strikeouts.
New Albany’s Sawyer Wheatley contributed with one of the Thunder’s four hits, a single in the seventh inning.
Tallahatchie will have the week to rest before playing three games this weekend, starting with a 6:30 p.m. tilt with the North Delta Dealers. The Rascals will also play the Tribe on Saturday at 6:30 p.m. and the Jets at 1:30 p.m. on Sunday.
Tribe earn first win in CSBL
Tippah County picked up their first win in the BNA Bank Cotton States League with a 5-3 decision over the Tupelo Thunder on Sunday.
Josh Chism’s RBI double brought in the first run for the Tribe in the third inning with Clint Hodges coming home for the 1-0 lead.
After Tupelo took the lead in the top half of the fourth, Tippah County scored three runs in the bottom of the frame that started with three straight hits for the Tribe. Two of Tippah’s runs were brought in on wild pitches and the Tribe loaded the bases before ending the inning.
Hunter Bolden and Houston Harper each had singles in the fifth that led to two more runs for the Tribe, and Jimmy Marshall’s RBI single scored the final run in the win.
Grant Howell (1-0) earned the win allowing three runs off three hits and five strikeouts.
The Tribe and Thunder will play one another again on June 14.
About Chris Elkins
- Center Hill Baptist Church news June 28, 2016
- County Road 46 to be closed for several weeks due to bridge work June 28, 2016
- New Albany Fire Department represents city, associations June 28, 2016
- County jobless rate up, but still among lowest June 28, 2016
- MDOT gives sheriff’s department truck for litter collection June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...