BREAKING NEWS UPDATE: Hostage crisis in Union County
Local law enforcement agencies were still in a standoff as of 2:20 a.m. Saturday morning with a subject on Highway 178 near Sherman.
According to Union County Sheriff Tommy Wilhite, a man has shot his ex-wife and is holding her and two children hostage. He said that she was still alive as of 2 a.m.
“We’re in a mess right now,” Wilhite said. “That’s all I can tell you right now.”
The standoff began shortly after neighbors reported gunshots coming from the home just past the train bridge on the west side of Sherman. Authorities arrived at the scene at approximately 8 p.m.
The Union County Sheriff’s Department, the Mississippi Highway Patrol, Tupelo SWAT team, as well as Sherman police and several area emergency management agencies were involved in the ongoing hostage negotiations.
No names or ages of anyone involved in the hostage situation had been released.
The New Albany Gazette will bring you more of the story as it becomes available.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...