Four athletes to represent NA at state track meet
New Albany will be well represented in this weekend’s 4A State Track and Field championships in Jackson, as the Bulldogs will take four athletes for the two-day event.
Zach Hand, Tia Potts, Bobbie Rogers and Cameo Mabry qualified for state competition after last weekend’s North Half championship at Pontotoc. Hand took first place honors in the shot put with his mark of 46.6, while Potts finished second in shot put with a 34.6 score and third is the discus throw with a mark of 87.6.
Rogers will be competing in the 200 meter dash after her third place finish in Pontotoc, and Mabry rounds out the Bulldogs representation as he will compete in the 400 meter dash after qualifying with a second place north half finish.
“Overall I’m pleased with the effort of the team and proud of those who qualified for state,” NAHS track coach Rolandus Cox said. “They all did well on Saturday, and the ones that will continue have a good chance of winning a medal at state.”
Mabry and Rogers are making a return to state competition, as Mabry went as a sophomore in 2008, competing in the 4×1 and 4×2 races. Rogers is also making her second appearance, as she has previously finished seventh in the 200 meter dash.
Cox also credits the help of his coaching staff, Scott Duley and Les Huntington for their work this season.
“Coach Duley has played a big part in helping Zach and Tia, while Coach Huntington has worked primarily with the distance runners,” he said. “We’ve had a successful year with our distance runners and sprinters, with a couple just missing state qualifying.”
NAHS and Myrtle will compete at state this weekend.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...