Bulldogs fall short versus Pontotoc
The Bulldogs had an opportunity to top division leader Pontotoc as well as keep their playoff hopes alive, but fell short, falling to the Warriors 2-1 Friday night.
Down to their final three outs, Cody McCullough hit a leadoff double followed by an error that place Taylor Goode on base. The Warriors intentionally walked J.D. Morris to load the bases for the bottom of the ‘Dawgs batting order, which had three straight outs.
“We’ve had that situation quite a few times this year, and we have not come through,” NAHS head coach John Walker said. “Bases loaded, no outs, ideally you can’t ask for anything more than that. Once we stole second, I knew they were probably going to walk him (Morris) and when I saw him make the move to do it, my stomach kind of rolled a little bit. It was a situation that we have not been successful with.”
The Bulldogs lone run came two innings earlier off an RBI single by Joshua Googe that tied the game. Pontotoc added the eventual game winning run in the sixth in what was otherwise a strong showing from Tyler Basil on the mound. Basil only allowed five hits in the game, one a solo home run by Jake Smithey in the first inning.
“Offensively, they’re the best hitting team we’ve faced, and Tyler Basil did a great job, couldn’t ask for a better performance,” Walker said. “That’s his game. He’s a strike thrower and he gets outs. He held a good hitting team to only two runs off five hits and one which coming on a squeeze play that we weren’t ready for.”
Smithey was the only player for either team to have multiple hits. Kaleb Kennedy held the Bulldogs to only three hits, the first of which coming in the fifth.
New Albany rebounded with a 10-0 win over Alcorn Central on Saturday and will play at North Pontotoc Tuesday night.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...