New Albany preparing for 15th annual “Frog-a-Nanny”
The 15th annual “Frog-a-Nanny” is just around the corner, and the New Albany School District has announced a new addition to the yearly event.
Along with the annual parade and baseball game, event coordinator Kelly Coltharp talked about a 5K run/walk which has been added this year to help raise more money for the event.
The race will be held after the Frog-a-Nanny festivities and will take place at the New Albany Sportsplex and Park Along the River.
Frog-a-Nanny has become a popular event featuring children with special needs in Union County. The parade and baseball game has grown throughout the years, with 62 participants signed up for the 2010 festivities.
“It’s part of our way to educate people about students with disabilities and what they’re able to do,” event coordinator Kelly Coltharp said. “It’s all about advocating for them and showing what they’re able to do, playing ball and competing in sports.”
The May 14th schedule includes the parade starting at 4:30 p.m. with the game being held immediately after. While the children participating in the event enjoy an Elvis theme party, the race will take place, approximately at 7:00 p.m.
There is a $25 registration fee which includes a t-shirt for the participant. All proceeds will go toward helping with the purchase of uniforms for the athletes in the game.
There will be five age divisions (10-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49 and 50-over) with three deep winners in each division as well as three overall male and female winners.
Pre-registration is encouraged with the deadline set for April 30. Registration is available the day of the race, but you will not be guaranteed a t-shirt.
“We hope the community will come out and see what these children are capable of,” Coltharp said. “So many times you hear about a child with a disability and you think about what they can’t do. This is our opportunity to show what we can do and how much more they can do. Not their weaknesses, but their strengths and we want to showcase that.”
For more information on the 5k run/walk, contact Rebekah Wiseman or Bailey King at 534-1805. Registration forms are available online at www.newalbanyschools.us or www.racesonline.com.
Further information on Frog-a-Nanny can be seen on their website, www.frogananny.com.
About Chris Elkins
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...