The annual effort to get our town and our county looking a little better by cleaning the place up takes place Saturday.
Called the Keep America Beautiful “Great American Cleanup,” this annual event puts a focus on everything from roadside litter to getting rid of stuff that is cluttering up private property in the city and county.
Volunteers and volunteer teams are needed to help from 9 a.m. to noon. To register a team, just call Vickie Duke, a coordinator for Keep New Albany/Union County Beautiful, by Friday afternoon and select a neighborhood, park, street or any other site to clean up, beautify or improve.
All registered groups will receive complimentary trash bags for litter cleanups and the civic or non-profit group that collects the most trash will win $100. Hopefully, making the community a nicer place to live will be your motivation, though.
The clean-up campaign will be run out of the parking lot on Carter Avenue next to the Union County Library.
Separate recycling containers will be available for paper products, household appliances and law and gardening equipment (remove the fluids, please). Paint cans with tightly fitting lids also will be accepted.
We know lots of groups plan to be involved including the Boys and Girls Club, the New Albany Garden Club, the New Albany ROTC students, the sheriff’s department, the Boy Scouts and Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County. In addition, programs have been underway at area schools this week.
You don’t have to be in a group, though. Just clean up your own property or the street in front of your home and drop the stuff off at the library parking lot Saturday morning.
Our city and county are only as attractive as we want to make them.
About Chris Elkins
- The Playhouse June 21, 2016
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Eastern Lights June 23, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes June 23, 2016
- It’s time for back-to-school vaccines June 23, 2016
- Urchins sink the Vikings with huge fourth June 23, 2016
- East Union wins regional opener in NEMCABB June 23, 2016
- County schools ask for 4 percent tax hike June 23, 2016
- A head of his class June 23, 2016
- Festival to include music, patriotism June 23, 2016
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...